10/31/09

Canon IXUS 200 IS Review

First of all, I’m very happy I bought this camera. Choosing the right one between hundred types of pocket cameras is painful. I spent 125674938 hours browsing the internet, reading reviews, painstakingly observing pictures in FLICKR, calling camera stores. It’s only for a simple point&shoot camera, but I don’t wanna regret my buy.

In the beginning, I demand manual control, and wide angle. That’s because my only preference used to be the LX3, and I didn’t feel I wanted to give up the manual control; like shutter priority, aperture priority, and manual focus; and my choices were Lumix DMC-FX550, Canon Powershot SX200 IS, Canon IXUS SD990 IS (doesn’t have manual control and wide angle, but reviews were good) and Lumix DMC-TZ7 (doesn’t have manual control either, but long zoom, which LX3 doesn't have, is tempting and it also uses Leica lens). But Lumix TZ7 was quickly out from the list cos it’s overbudget. IXUS SD990 IS was what’s removed after cos its widest focal length is only 34mm. Both FX550 and SX200 receive complaints from many websites for poor quality images. So confusing, but I realized with the budget of mine, I couldn’t get all features I wanted, so I decided to compromise with a full auto camera.

Then I bumped into KenRockwell’s website, which reviewed about the Canon IXUS 200 IS here. And this camera wins my heart very quickly. Searching down back thru camera review pages like Photographyblog, Letsgodigital, photo360mag, I was sure this is it!!! This is what I want! I was afraid that this camera was still unavailable in Indonesia, but then relieved cos it’s already released in Jakarta last September. As I told you before, I finally bought this camera from Oktagon at IDR 3.380K.

You can google Canon IXUS 200 IS complete specs by yourself. IMO this camera fits my hand comfortably. It may be a problem for bigger palms though, but for me it doesn’t matter. The 3” LCD is awesome and bright. I sometimes feel that some pictures look better in the LCD than in my computer. They look in good exposure while being previewed in the camera, but after you transfer to the computer, they look under-exposed haha.. Sadly, I haven’t been able to figure out how to trick this problem yet. Fyi, the screen is a touch-screen. You can modify your camera setting, playback pictures, delete pictures etc just by tapping/double-tapping/dragging your fingers on the screen. It also has gesture sensor that can detect camera horizontal/ vertical position, adjust the images position as you change the cam position, or flipping thru images just by waving your hand up and down. I don’t usually use these features. I find that using the wheel is far more convenient. The touch screen is useful to interchange between shooting modes and move the focus frames. I can just tap the screen on place I want to focus and let other areas in the frame be slightly out of focus! Awesome, haha…

Okay.. Nuf said and let’s take a look on some original pictures, all taken indoor…




Program AE 1/30 f2.8 ISO 80 AWB








Digital Macro 1/6 f2.8 ISO 80 AWB






Program AE 1/5 f2.8 ISO 80 AWB




Program AE 1/5 f2.8 ISO 200 AWB




Program AE 1/25 f2.8 ISO 100 AWB






The only weird thing is that when AUTO mode is chosen, it sets the camera on ISO 800 wtf hahaha... xD Haven't tried it for outdoor scene though, but I believe it works as what you expect from a Canon haha.. will update later when I find an outdoor occasion :)







0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP